Pizza is an interesting thing. As long as it meets a few basic criteria (crust, sauce, cheese, etc.) whatever the toppings, it’s still pizza. That’s similar to hearing loss. As long as you are having difficulty hearing sound, whether it’s due to a blockage, age, loud noise, or whatever else, it’s still hearing loss.
Limiting the damage is usually the first thing to do when you start to detect hearing loss. This is only one simple step you can take to safeguard your hearing from further damage.
Tip 1: Keep your ears clean
Remember when your parents used to always ask “did you wash behind your ears”? But with regards to the health of your hearing, it’s the inner ear, not behind the ears, that we’re interested in.
Keeping your ears clear of wax buildups can help your hearing in numerous different ways:
- Unkempt ears boost your risk of getting an ear infection, which causes swelling that, when significant enough, interferes with your ability to hear. Your functional hearing will typically come back when then the infection clears.
- Your brain and your ability to interpret sounds can be impacted over time by neglected hearing loss.
- When wax accumulation becomes significant, it can block sound waves from reaching your inner ear. Because of this, your ability to hear becomes weakened.
- If you use hearing aids, earwax will also impede their functionality. This could make it seem as if your hearing is worsening.
You should not ever try to use a cotton swab to dig out earwax. In most situations, a cotton swab will make things worse or cause additional damage. You can buy earwax removal drops over-the-counter at your local pharmacy which work better and are safer than swabs.
Tip 2: Loud noise that could result in hearing loss should be avoided
This one should be fairly intuitive. The problem is that most individuals have no clue what a “loud noise” actually is. It’s not just blaring speakers or loud rock concerts that damage your ears, freeway driving can be noisy enough to damage your ears over a long period of time. Your ears can also be compromised by things like the motor of your lawn mower. And when you’re out celebrating the 4th of July, be careful to safeguard your ears!
Here are a few practical ways to eliminate noise damage:
- When you can’t prevent being in a loud setting, use ear protection. If you want to attend a loud rock concert or if you work in a noisy factory that’s fine but remember your hearing protection. You can get plenty of protection from contemporary earplugs and earmuffs.
- When decibel levels get too loud, you can use an app on your phone to alert you.
- Avoid cranking up the volume on your headphones when you’re streaming videos or listening to music. When you’re listening at dangerous volumes, most phones have built-in warnings.
The damage to your ears from loud sounds will build up gradually. So, even if your hearing “seems” fine after a noisy event, that doesn’t mean it is. Only a hearing specialist can let you know if you have hearing loss.
Tip 3: If you have any hearing loss, have it treated
Hearing loss typically builds over time. So you’ll be in a better position to prevent further harm if you catch it early. So in terms of hearing loss, this is the reason why getting it treated is so important. Effective treatments (on which you follow through) will put your hearing in the best possible state.
Treatment works like this:
- We will help you avoid further damage by providing you with customized advice and guidelines.
- Mental strain, social withdrawal, and other hearing loss-associated health problems can be prevented by hearing aids.
- Some, but not all damage can be avoided by hearing aids. For instance, hearing aids will prevent you from turning your television volume up so loud it harms your ears. Because hearing aids stop this damage, they can also prevent further degeneration of your hearing.
Limit hearing loss – it will help you in the long run
While it’s true that hearing loss can’t be cured, in many circumstances, hearing loss treatment is one of the principal ways to prevent it. The correct treatment will help you maintain your present degree of hearing and prevent it from becoming worse.
In the years to come you will be providing yourself with the best opportunity for healthy hearing if you get hearing loss treatment from us, use hearing protection, and practice quality hygiene!